Two local politicians T.W. Hislop and Samuel Shrimski persuade Parliament to establish a high school for girls in Oamaru to serve the North Otago region. Planning begins and arrangements are made to use alternative accommodation until a suitable site is identified. Mrs. Margaret Gordon Burn (at age 62) appointed Lady Principal 1st October. School opens on 17th October 1887 with a roll of 9 students.